Friday, September 11, 2009

Family Begs Killer to Give Up Body

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) - Harold Barker, 55, has been asked dozens of times where he put the body of Shelly Sue Turner. She disappeared in 2006, and was last seen with Barker, her boyfriend at the time. Turner's family gave it one last shot at Barker's sentencing Wednesday, September 9.

"We have a right to know where she is," said Jessica Turner, the victim's daughter. "You have nothing to lose now. So I ask you, where is my mother? Whether you choose to answer that today or ten years from now, sometime before you yourself has to answer to God, I hope you can find it in yourself to let us know where she is."

Barker stood quietly as Turner begged him for answers. When given his chance to speak, he maintained his innocence.

"For the family's sake, I hope you don't close this case," said Barker. "If I knew where Shelly was, I wouldn't be facing the time I am now. A deal was offered and I couldn't produce Shelly."

Barker was last seen leaving Shag's Tavern on South Smithville Road with Turner in September 2006. Barker told police that Turner left with another man, but during his trial, Barker's friends told the jury that he later admitted to killing his girlfriend.

"I believe the only time you've told the truth is when you told your friends you killed her," said Judge Barbara Gorman.

Gorman told Barker in court that she didn't believe he had a conscience, and that calls for a maximum sentence. Gorman sentenced Barker to 28 years to life in prison.

Turner's mother has been taking care of the youngest of her three children since she disappeared.

No comments: