Saturday, October 23, 2010

Son Found Not Guilty In Parents' Slaying

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. -- Just an hour into deliberations Friday afternoon, a jury reached a not guilty verdict in the trial of a man who is charged with the first-degree murder of his parents.

Ronald Jabalee Jr., 42, had been accused of killing Ronald and Christine Jabalee, both 58, in their New Baltimore garage in 2006.

"For count one regarding Christine Jabalee, we find the defendant not guilty," a juror read. "For count two regarding Ronald Jabalee Sr., we find the defendant not guilty."

The jury was seven women and five men.

"We had a few guilty (votes) because we had questions," said juror Cecilia Grzadzinski. "Once we all discussed it, we realized that there was no evidence. There was no evidence to base our guilty verdicts on. So, now, we just made a quick decision."

The couple’s death gained national attention after detectives revealed that “SSEUIC” had been written on the garage floor next to the couple’s bodies in Christine Jabalee's blood.

The message’s meaning has never been deciphered.

During the last week, Assistant Macomb County Prosecutor Steve Kaplan had argued that Ronald Jabalee Jr. killed his parents because of money and an addiction to the prescription painkiller Vicodin.

Defense attorney Stephen Rabaut had called the evidence circumstantial.

"Our client is naturally elated," he said outside the courtroom. "We just hope that our client is able to go about his business for the rest of his life with his wonderful family."

Christine Jabalee's sister, Claudia Seta, said she and other family members have maintained Ronald Jabalee Jr.'s innocence for years.

"There was no way that Ron did this," she said. "It was devastating to our family, my kids, my husband, Ron's family and his kids."

The Jabalee family owns RJ Meats in Detroit's Eastern Market.

Ronald Jabalee Jr.'s brother, Ryan, said he attended a few of the court hearings but stayed back at the family business on Friday.

"I am so happy right now . I've been sticking with my decision since this even happened. I was with my brother, by his side, through all of this," he said. "I'm glad I didn't have to be a part of the court process but I'm here working at the store, working with the family to keep the store going."

Ryan Jabalee said his entire family supports each other and will now move on with some peace of mind.

"It's been so hard but I've got my family members here, all the time," he said. "Now, we can move on, and I hope they find the real people who did this to my mom and my dad."

No comments: