Saturday, April 25, 2009

George Anthony: 'Proud of My Daughter'

In the second part of an exclusive interview, George and Cindy Anthony told the CBS "Early Show" that their daughter was full of energy as a child and now spends her time in jail reading law books.

Maggie Rodriguez conducted the interview and asked the Anthonys to describe Casey Anthony as a child.

"Casey was just full of energy. She was very inquisitive. She loved to read. She started reading at a very young age," Cindy Anthony said.

"Very sensitive, very caring - the kind of daughter that any father is proud of," George Anthony said. "I'm proud of my daughter.

Casey Anthony, 23, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee, whose remains were found in a wooded lot near the family's east Orange County home. Caylee was 2 years old when she was reported missing, about a month after she was last seen alive.

The Anthonys were asked about their fondest memory of Caylee.

"I don't think we have enough time to talk about it," George Anthony said.

"Her goal was to make us smile and make us laugh," Cindy Anthony said. "She was very sensitive. If I came home from work and she could tell I had a bad day, she would grab my face and (give me a kiss) and say, 'C.C., I love you,'"

The Anthonys said dealing with Caylee's death is a daily struggle.

"We're dealing with it the best that we can. It's very hard, it's very difficult," Cindy Anthony said.

Rodriguez asked the Anthonys if they've fully dealt with the brutal aspect of the death.

"We don't know what happened to Caylee," Cindy Anthony said.

"But we know that she was murdered," CBS's Maggie Rodriguez said.

"But we don't know what happened to her. That's the thing," Cindy Anthony said.

Cindy Anthony said she has no regrets in how's she handled the situation.

"When I saw Casey (in July), I could tell something was wrong," said Cindy Anthony. "I don't know how I would react any differently. After I made the first 911 call, Casey thanked me in the car because she said I did something that she couldn't do, which was go to the police."

The Anthonys said they want to know what exactly happened to their granddaughter.

"I'd love to know more. I want to know what happened," said Cindy Anthony, who added that she can't fault her daughter. "How can we? We don't know what she's been through. I don't know what that girl has been through..."

Cindy Anthony said her daughter helped her get through the tough times...

The Anthonys said they do not visit Casey Anthony because the conversations are videotaped and made public.

"Unfortunately, we have laws in Florida where anything is up for grabs as far as - media has access to whatever - so if we go in for a normal visit, it's going to be on videotape," Cindy Anthony said. "We go to our hearings and get to see her."

George said it hurts not to be able to let her know that he's there for her.

"She's presumed innocent. The facts will all come out," Cindy Anthony said. "All we can do is stand behind our daughter, that's all we can do."

"That's our daughter. No matter what, that's still our daughter," George Anthony said.

Parts of the interview, in which Cindy Anthony defends here daughter, were not shown.

"No one knows what they would do when something so terrifying happens to you....in a panic or whatever," Cindy Anthony said.

The Anthony's admitted their daughter has shown little emotion since the disappearance of her daughter.

"Everybody reacts differently to tragedy. I am not Casey. I don't know what she was feeling. I can't judge and I'm not going to pre-judge," Cindy Anthony said.

When asked if she wished she had called 911 sooner, Cindy Anthony said she called for help as soon as she could. (source)

No comments: