Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ghost Hunting: Buckout Road

I've attempted twice to experience something real in two of the most popular paranormal spots in my area. One spot is more hyped-up than it is credible- Buckout Road in West Harrison, NY. It's a road that connects Harrison to White Plains, and is probably known more for it's 'albinos' than known for any ghosts.

My boyfriend grew up nearby in Port Chester, and traveled down the road late at night a few times with his friends. He's claimed to have seen the albinos, that there really is a small community taking shelter somewhere along the road. One of the oldest tales is that if you honk your horn outside of a particular house 3 times that the albinos will come out and eat you. What!

On one particular trip his friend flipped a car on the road. In my researching the road I read there was a turn on the road that used to be marked with 3 x's, and after people drive on that curve bad things sometimes happen. Was this right before that flip?
The 3 x's were supposed to mark the spot where three witches were once hung on a tree- and another version I read it was burned alive.. I'm not sure which (if any) are historically accurate.

This site explains about the creepiness of this road (and historical information):
http://bedofnailz.com/buckout

Apparently Mary Buckhout's grave was robbed, although I haven't found any newspaper articles to really back it up. There are a few other creepy ghost stories on the site, and after reading about them I was dying to venture out there.

So I go adventure to it with Joe, who's now a seasoned veteran of the road, and my ghost-hunt-lovin' friend, Rob N.

Ideally I would've loved to stop along different spots of the road and explore outside, but we were worried about police stopping along and seeing us. On top of that it was pretty damned creepy. I wish I could've tracked where on the road we were compared to spots known for activity, but we just made pretty blind run.

I didn't see anything crazy happening at any point, but the road itself is cool to travel- it narrows down at points and the lack of light can lead much to your imagination.

The next time I ghost hunt, again with Joe, we're in his Volvo station wagon, heading up to Easton.

No comments: